SKILLS, TALENTS AND STRENGTHS:
Experienced news and features writer who can multi-task and effectively coordinate a variety of fast-paced editorial projects. Deadline-conscious with the ability to visualize appropriate steps to the final creative conclusion; eager and constantly willing to take on new challenges with a spirit of Midwestern professionalism.
FREELANCE JOURNALIST, Eagle Rock, CA, Nov. 1993- present
Freelance journalist for daily, weekly and monthly publications, including The Los Angeles Times.
- Proposes local, regional and national story ideas, creating features and posts for outlets including: Los Angeles Times’ Calendar Weekend (seven cover stories, among others), Calendar Live, and SoCal Living (two front page articles); Westways Magazine; Pomona College Magazine, Arroyo Monthly Magazine; L.A. Parent Magazine; Pasadena Magazine; The Tidings Weekly; The Eastsider LA and more.
- Personally supplies photographs or arranges content-related photo opportunities.
- Created the Southern California Wildlife blog (socalwild.com); researches, writes and photographs stories involving wildlife issues found in the Greater Los Angeles area. Outreach via social media platforms.
Case Study Writer
ARTCENTER COLLEGE OF DESIGN, Pasadena, CA, Sept. 2014 – present | www.designmattersatartcenter.org
Editorial historian chronicling students in the Designmatters concentration as they learn how to effectively use design techniques and skills to activate or influence positive social change.
- Observes sessions, compiles information and drafts final case studies which are used online to communicate the department’s mission which are added to historical online archives and displayed on campus.
- Interviews students, teachers and associates about their classroom experience and project outcomes.
- Project cases and recaps have included: Mattel, the Nike Girl Foundation, Caltech, the City of Santa Monica, Vans Shoes, Center Theater Group, Aquarium of the Pacific, Long Beach Health and Human Services, Coaniquem Pediatric Burn Facility in Chile and others.
OPM Design Group, Burbank, CA, Jan. 2018-present | www.opmdesign.com
Edits and rewrites text for clarity, readability and accuracy for a variety of clients. Projects include: art books, medical and educational brochures, website text, ancillary development/marketing materials, written proposals, strategic plans and more.
- Conceptualizes thematic messaging options.
- Provides suggestions for design elements (photo, graphics, etc.) to create an engaging finished product.
COMMUNITY VOLUNTEER, Eagle Rock, CA, Nov. 2009 – present
Working to make the world a better, greener and happier place.
- Friends of Griffith Park (2016-present) Board Member; provides editorial expertise, edits and writes newsletter, assists with social media posts/photography in addition to participating in tree planting/care events.
- Food Forward (2009-present) Pick Leader, Table Representative, Backyard Harvest Coordinator; organizes volunteers for residential/community harvests, delivers food to receiving agencies, community engagement.
Public Relations/Social Media/Copyeditor
FREELANCE CONSULTANT, Eagle Rock, CA, Nov. 2000 – present
Contracted public relations liaison for nonprofit organizations, local events and small businesses. Creates public relations campaigns, executes social media strategy and assists with media coverage. Clients include: Museums of the Arroyo Day, Fire Family Foundation, Heritage Square Museum, Gamble House Lecture Series, Galco’s Soda Pop Stop, AIA Pasadena + Foothill, Frogtown Artwalk, Charles Phoenix and Adam’s Forge Blacksmithing.
- Creates overall public relations program and strategy, drafting press releases, radio and media alerts, and pitch letters to print, TV and radio.
- Drives social media outreach and coordinates with stakeholders on timing and content.
- Writes contributed articles for local publications, websites, blogs, etc.
- Designs brochures, postcards and flyers; updates event website and blog content.
- Creates monthly email newsletters.
- Photographs products, people and events for online and print use.
Manager of Communications
DESCANSO GARDENS, La Canada, CA, Oct. 2008 – June 2010
Served as key player for public relations, external and internal communications for public botanical garden.
- Generated ongoing awareness of Descanso Gardens to core audiences with coverage in newspapers, magazines, radio, TV and online. Coverage included articles and segments in the Pasadena Star News, Los Angeles Times, KABC-TV, NBC4, The Today Show, La Canada Valley Sun, Arroyo Monthly, La Canada Outlook and more
- Conceptualized, drafted and distributed press releases.
- Pitched feature ideas to reporters and producers; served as the “point person” for all inbound/outbound communications activities.
- Managing editor of Gardens’ quarterly newsletter Descanso News, oversaw copy and graphic content, drafted articles, edited internal contributions, supervised design and printing.
- Drafted ongoing contributed features for South Pasadena Quarterly Magazine.
- On-site photographer and videographer for internal and external communications and marketing use.
- Worked with outside printers and designers on all marketing materials: flyers, advertising, posters, post cards.
- Coordinated content for Descanso Gardens’ website; oversaw ongoing email blasts to members.
- Oversaw social media outreach. Launched Facebook page in August 2009; created ongoing video, photographic and copy to engage potential visitors, workshop attendees and members.
L.A. PARENT MAGAZINE, Burbank, CA, Oct. 2004 – Dec. 2007
Oversaw editorial content for the monthly publication.
- Researched and wrote listings, highlights, special articles, media reviews.
- Coordinated copy, photos and graphs for design; oversaw design and gave creative feedback on layout.
- Established new columns on reviews of DVDs and music.
WHAT’S THE BIG IDEA?, Santa Ana, CA, Oct. 1999 – 2013
Oversaw editorial content and layout for bi-monthly newsletter (and later online version) about professional development programs for California K-12 science and math teachers.
- Rewrote existing materials for flow and to match AP style.
- Coordinated copy, photos and graphs for both printed and online newsletter.
- Oversaw design and gave creative feedback on layout.
THE TIDINGS WEEKLY NEWSPAPER, Los Angeles, CA, May 1997 – June 1999
Reporter/photographer for weekly publication of the Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles.
- Originated story ideas from concept to interviews to finished product, often on tight deadlines.
- Worked comfortably on a variety of projects.
- Rewrote existing press releases to fit publication style guidelines.
- Provided copy editing and proofreading skills in addition to assisting in page layout and design.
Manager of Creative Affairs
MGM ANIMATION, Santa Monica, CA, Aug. 1994 – March 1997
WALT DISNEY TV ANIMATION, North Hollywood, CA, Sept. 1992 – Nov. 1993
Creative Affairs Director
UNIVERSAL CARTOON STUDIOS, Los Angeles, CA, April 1989 – Sept. 1992
Creative Executive Assistant
HANNA-BARBARA, Hollywood, CA, April 1986 – April 1989
MINNESOTA DEPT. OF ECONOMIC SECURITY, St. Paul, MN, Sept. 1980 – June 1982
In charge of monthly 12-page newsletter devoted to government job service programs.
Photography, Zoner, Photoshop, WordPress, basic HTML, Excel, Mailchimp, Hootsuite, Word and PowerPoint.
Journalism BA, Minor in Public Relations, 1982 cum laude, College of St. Thomas, St. Paul, MN
# # #